FAQ for study in USA


Quick Bite


Studying in USA is a dream for many students across the world.asd


US attracts largest numer of international students across the world.


Allowed Part time work - 20 hrs/week during studies & 40Hrs during holidays.

Hi!, We are launching the Q&A section soon. Meanwhile check the Frequently asked questions on studying in USA. If you have any questions, don't forget to leave them in the comment section.

Q1: Why Study in the USA?

Universities in the U.S. attract international students for many reasons.  The United States hosts more international students than any other country in the world, a number fast approaching 600,000. In fact, international students comprise approximately 4% of the total undergraduate US university and college population, and 10% of the population for US graduate school. These international students from every continent in the world choose to study in the US because they believe that an American education would afford them the best preparation for their future. They leave homes, families and friends in order to pursue their dreams of an excellent education.


Following are the top 10 reasons why international choose U.S. colleges and universities:

Excellent Academics, Flexibility in Course Curriculum, Financial Assistance, Work Programs, Internships, Job Opportunities, Reorganization of International Students, Cultural Exchange, Value and Fun & more fun

Q2: What type of visa do I need to become an academic student in the United States?

Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the United States will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the U.S. Here is a short description of the different visa types that involve study:

  • F-1, or Student Visa
    This visa is the most common for those who wish to engage in academic studies in the United States. It is for people who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.
  • J-1, or Exchange Visitor
    This visa is for people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the U.S. The "J" visa is for educational and cultural exchange programs.
  • M-1, or Student Visa
    This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the U.S.

Q3: What to Do When You Arrive at the College or University in the U.S.?

Once you arrive on campus, you should report immediately to the office that is responsible for assisting international students and scholars. It may be called the Office of International Services, the Office of International Education, the International Programs Office, or some other similar name. Whatever the name, however, that office can help you with any questions or concerns you may have about immigration rules and regulations. Moreover, that office must report your arrival within the SEVIS system. If this report is not submitted, you may be considered to be in violation of your status in the United States, so be sure to make the international student office one of your first stops on campus.

Q4: How can I apply for scholarship in USA universities and colleges?

You can apply for scholarship or financial aid directly to the university. Most of universities are state funded. USA universities offer a big number of scholarships and financial aid. Scholarships details can be found on university websites.

Q5: Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to receive a scholarship?

You must be a citizen, national, or legal permanent resident of the United States to apply. Citizens of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of Palau are also eligible to apply.

Q6: Is a "full scholarship" available? Do parents necessarily have to bear some of the costs of education?

UWC Scholarships and aid is decided on a "need" basis. Students' parents may be asked and expected to make contributions to the costs of their attendance and travel according to their ability to do so. Assessment of families' ability to make such contributions will be made as impartially as possible and by agreement between the UWC Committee (India) for the College and the families concerned.

Q7: Are Scholarships available?

International students are provided with scholarships by the universities to support their education expenses. This range from a few hundred dollars to full scholarships. Private scholarships are also available. They are the educational gifts given by various organizations or individuals, predominantly for academic merit.

Q8: What are the housing options available in US?

Accommodation is very important as it is significant for your successful studies in USA. In USA you are provided with two options- campus and off campus housing. Universities provide dormitories with necessary facilities. Or else you can easily a rent house off campus.

Q9: Can I work while I am studying?

Working while study is a popular option for students in the United States. Students are allowed to do part time jobs up to 20 hours per week as a full time student. During holidays this is extended up to 40 hours per week.

Q10: What are the living expenses in USA for international students?

Living expenses depend state to state. But normally student living expenses cost is around $1000-$1500 per month.

Q11: Do international students need TOEFL/IELTS / GRE/SAT for programmes offered at USA universities?

Yes, most of universities require GRE for graduate/masters admissions and SAT for undergraduate / bachelors admissions. Also, If your first language is not English, most of universities require you to provide evidence of your command of English. You should include your TOEFL/IELTS test scores.

  •    hello sir i want to get scholarship FOR MY COURSE. Kindly reply me +919596082575
    nadeem, 29-11-2015 Reply
  •    Can you please let me know more information about the stay back option in USA. Can I work after pursuing my studies
    Roshni Binoy, 12-09-2015 Reply
  •    Hello sir,myself Ankush priyadarshi.I want study in USA but my family condition is very bad.they are not able to send me USA for study.....plz sir help me....&
    ankush priyadarshi, 29-06-2015 Reply
  •    No comments
    Saurabh baboo, 26-05-2015 Reply
  •    Sir I am doing AAIP -( Arena Animation International Program), it's the diploma in Animation & Vfx. Next I want to do degree in Animation & Vfx in U.S. Can I get permission to study the course in us and if it is possible which type of visa I need to het and can I get the scholarship? Please give the information to my Em@il udaysai.yarlagadda@Gmail.com or to my mobile +91 91 77 758851
    udaysai yarlagadda, 23-05-2015 Reply
  •    Hello Sir, I am doing MBA presently. this is my last semester...Can i get admission for PHD. courses in USA?if so, how much the cost for the entire course including living expenses...Does IELTS/TOFEL required ? please tell me scores for these thx
    Sukhwinder, 02-05-2015 Reply
  •    I am 25 years old.I like to apply for Student visa in USA/CANADA.I have passed 12th 42% in 2009.And doing distance BCA last year & also doing Job.Can apply for master? Yes OR NO and Y?If Yes what is procedure ?
    rs38073@gmail.com, 16-02-2015 Reply
  •    i did my B.tech in electronics and communication . can i get admission in USA in M.Tech in the same field and which universities are providing scholarships . I need to know and from where i can prepare for GRE & TOEFL
    prashantarrowbond@gmail.com, 23-11-2014 Reply
  •    hello , im vasundhara studying final bpharmacy , im preparing for GRE n ILETS , how can i get more scolership in USA ? which universitys are providing maximum scolerships for pharmacy students ?
    vasundhara polineni, 22-10-2014 Reply
  •    hii i'm namra. i comleted my highschool .now i want to study at USA in compuer science . i know very well about SAT or TOEFL . bt confusion is in clgs application form and it's other requirement for international student and also it's process. so plzz frds if u know then u can call me on 09725567217 or mail -desainamra86@gmail.com
    namra, 30-04-2014 Reply
  •    hello i had done graduation from computers and post graduation diploma in advance computing from c-dac mumbai same time i want to apply for abroad studies for pursuing MS.please let me know if there is any scholorship or somethng which give financialy help to me and how can i apply for abroad my contact number is 08454954315
    shirish saxena, 11-03-2014 Reply
  •    hi i am kiran ,i would like to ask some information regarding for U.S .my gre score 262 , ilets-5.5 ,i would like to apply with my ilets score ,can u tel me which colgs r acceptiable for my ilets score .can u send the list of colgs names plse
    kiran, 08-03-2014 Reply
  •    i have finished my bachelors in dental sciences in india am i eligible to write NBDH examination rather then NBDE.. do i need to write GRE TOFEL ?? what are the oppurtinities for me in USA and Canada ?? kindly reply me.. Thank you
    shruthi tejaswini, 06-03-2014 Reply
  •    i am very desperate about studing in USA but i have short of finance , I am persuing my MBA , i want to go for phd or MS can anybody please help me out
    Arvind Kumar, 24-02-2014 Reply
  •     hey...Hi!!! if u want to study abroad then here is a full comparative analysis and it would really be helpful for u.. Find the link below http://erhelpdesk.blogspot.com/p/study-abroad.html
    meerablog, 21-02-2014 Reply
  •    I am a BE (Civil)Undergraduate,want to apply for Masters in USA. I would want to know ,Which are the best universities for Masters in Construction Management in USA,with good placement records
    Rahul, 08-02-2014 Reply
  •    I have completed my B tech in ECE, CGPA- 8.78/10 , XII- 89%, X-84%, GRE_307, TOEFL-96. I am aspiring for MS in USA. In which universities i will get admission?
    Ankita Patidar, 08-12-2013 Reply
  •    i am just doing my 12th now nd want to continue my studies in USA after 12th what should i do
    allauddin shaikh, 19-11-2013 Reply
  •    can i do ms after my m.tech in usa
    ramesh, 24-09-2013 Reply
  •    what is the minimum years of education required to join any college abroad
    Asmita Bansode, 03-09-2013 Reply
  •    is credit transfering possible???? i am in bachelors 2 yr and i want to continue my 3rd and 4th yr in usa
    garima thapa, 25-08-2013 Reply
  •    i would like to know about the courses available in USA and Australia in computer field for Masters
    Yashwanthi.M, 31-07-2013 Reply
  •    im pursuing my B tech in Electronics and communication here(INDIA) now I want to do M tech in electronics in USA so i want to know top20 universities of USA.....and entrance test to join there......please can u send it to my mail i.e email id hking171@gmail.com
    HARSHITH N P, 31-07-2013 Reply
  •    I have completed (12th+3) years of education (UG) in India. I want to persue MBA as further studies in USA. Can U provide me a list of Top 30 colleges according to their rank, which take in students with a (12+3)= 15 years of education. And also, I don't have a job experience yet.
    Anupam, 29-07-2013 Reply
  •    could you please tell about which universities in usa offers computerscience and IT course
    preethi, 24-07-2013 Reply
  •    will it be a gud idea to apply universities before writing GRE with expected scores?Like who will be given priority first ...will i get admit if i do like dis if i get da expected score...
    sowmya, 15-07-2013 Reply
  •    Which universities in USA offer a masters degree in microelectronics? can you please give me that universities name..??
    sagar, 11-07-2013 Reply
  •    I need to do my study to USA for my good application and for a good knowledge for my all life
    Emmanuel Kabey Mutomb, 09-06-2013 Reply
    Hi Emmanuel, we will definitely help you out regarding you admission for good universities in US. But can you please tell me, are you looking for undergraduate or postgraduate program at US Universities. So, if you can able provide me your contact details or for more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    I really want to do my college studies and further abroad so please send details about scholarships ,courses and the rest to my mail id
    Abin P Naveen, 02-06-2013 Reply
    Hi Abin, We will definitely help you out regarding your admission, course & selection of universities and scholarship options in USA Universities. But before giving suitable options & scholarship details, can you please provide me your email Id or contact number so that I can clarification your doubt first then we provide your suitable options accordingly to your profile. Which course are you looking for admission either UG or PG program? Otherwise if you have more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    do you have BIOTECH courses in AUSTRALIA? will you help me by giving details to my mail id?
    Anu Priya Arul Arasan, 28-05-2013 Reply
    Hi Anu, Yes, so many Australian universities offer Bio-Tech course. So, if you can able provide me your email id or contact number. So that I will provide some of the options basis on your profile. For more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    how to apply for study loans to study in USA and how can i manage to study in there
    Srinath V, 10-05-2013 Reply
    Hi Srinath, If you want to apply for your education loan, first you need your require I-20 in hand from the universities. On the basis of universities tuition & living cost bank will issue education loan in two categories. Up to 4 laks bank will issue on the basis of your I-20 without guarantee, if you are looking for full tuition & living cost against property you will get the education loan. Can provide me your email id & contact number so that I can able clarification your doubt. For more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    i want the full details of studying in USA and the whole expense including living, food, travel and tuition fee and how can work and study in US and also how to get in for jobs there in US....
    Srinath V, 10-05-2013 Reply
    Hi Srinath, We will definitely help you out regarding your admission, course & selection of universities. Provide you all the information details of universities tuition fee, living cost, travel expenditure & job prospectus. I need some more clarification from you before I suggest you, so that I can provide you correct information from my end. Can you please provide me your email Id or contact number. For more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    What is the eligibility to study in us universities and other country's universities
    Srinath V, 10-05-2013 Reply
    The admission procedure differs from country to country. Can you please tell me which course are you looking for admission? Accordingly I will provide entre requirement & eligibility of course program in country wise. For more information write to me at: lhamo.t@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
  •    please let me know if the companies hire international students by sponsoring H1B.
    sunitha, 25-02-2013 Reply
  •    plz give me tha detail information about GRE/TOEFL/IELTS preparation and books have to refered plz
    avinash panigrahi, 22-01-2013 Reply
    adityan, 05-01-2013 Reply
    Hi Adityan, Living expenses depend state to state. But normally student living expenses cost is around $1000-$1500 per month. And a tuition fee is around $30,000 - $52, 000 per year. Can you please provide me your email Id or contact number, I can able discuss more regarding your admission & provide your suitable option on your profile base. Feel free to get in touch for any further clarification regarding the process &for more information write to me at: info@edu-abroad.in Eduabroad Consulting, 10-07-2013
© 2018 Firefly e-Ventures Ltd.